Sunday, October 23, 2011

Week 1 - Complete

Today is October 23,2011 which marks the beginning of Week 2 of the full diet and exercise program that I have developed to drop weight for my wedding with my beautiful fiancee, Ashley, on August 11, 2012. I want to be around for a long time and I have never been 'in shape' in my life. The only shape I have been is round and I have a keg rather than a 6 pack.

Saying this is Week 2, may be a bit of a misnomer though. The truth is that we, my fiancee and I, started the diet about a week into October and I did sign up for and go to the gym one time before this week (Friday, October 14).

I feel that it is easier moving forward with the blog and the diet looking towards my goals and using Sunday, October 16, as the start day for the diet and exercise program, as that was the day of my first weigh in.

Here is a brief summary of the diet, routine, and goals, if you have missed any of my previous posts.
  • My fiancee and I are on a low carb, high fresh fruit and vegetable diet. Weening down our carb intake. 
    • Ideally, we would like to get to about 70 g of carbs a day, while shunning most simple carbs (candy, sugar, honey) all together. 
    • Like many things I have found, there is no real answer to what is the ideal amount of carbs. The Atkins diet calls for 20 g of 'net carbs' (Carbs minus fiber) a day or less. Atkins Site Regarding Carbs
    • A number of diets to maintain a health lifestyle recommend 120 total grams of carbohydrates a day Low Carbs on About.com 
    • One concern that we both have is the negative responses to a high protein diet Negatives of a Low Carb Diet
    • Our first challenge is limiting our simple and wheat related carbs (bread, wraps, pasta, oatmeal, cereal and granola) as well as potatoes to 2 a day.
  • I am going to the gym, a minimum 4 times a week. Doing a combination the first 4 weeks of 70% cardio, 30% weight training. 
  • For the Month of October, my goal was to get to 218 LBS by October 31 and 210 LBS by November 30.
  • Starting Weight: 221 LBS
  • Current weight: 214.2 LBS

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome Jim! I am glad to hear that Ashley and yourself are both doing the diet together! It helps a lot in the long run and shows how supportive you both are towards each other!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren! With Ashley doing the diet with me, it has been very helpful. If I tried to give up carbs and the fridge was full of sweets and pasta and carb-tastic food, there is no way I would have the will power to do this!

    ReplyDelete